Ammunition Manufacturing Engineer
Send applications and questions to [email protected] or fax to 1-833-923-0578.
We welcome resumes, but aren’t able to accept them without an application.
For the Ammunition Manufacturing Engineer position please submit a resume with the application.
Directs, communicates, coordinates and manages activities involved in the planning, testing and implementation of new and current ammunition projects. Interacts with Production and R&D to develop and implement all aspects of new ammunition designs, processes and manufacturing equipment. Responsible for creating, coordinating, and implementing new ammunition packaging plans and product updates used to package new and existing ammunition products.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (Essential Functions)
- Provide support to all engineering and manufacturing processes within the Ammunition Loading department.
- Work with Plant Leadership to initiate and implement cost savings improvements in processes and work methods, including capital projects and implementation.
- Evaluate and implement improvements to the manufacturing processes to increase efficiency and reduce waste.
- Analyze and improve safety practices.
- Analyze problems by collecting and compiling data to propose the best course of action for resolution.
- Engage in incident investigations to determine root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Research and provide justification for new equipment and/or manufacturing processes.
- Create and maintain travelers and process records.
- Develop standard work instructions for new and existing processes and products.
- Provide technical assistance to component and tooling suppliers.
- Manage and maintain all ammunition related activities in ERP system. (Creates and maintains components, Halb’s, FINP’s, BOM’s, Routings, prepares cost rolls and places orders).
- Manage and maintain all ammunition packaging plans (packaging materials, barcodes, labels and die lines)
- Contribute to the refresh of current artwork and on new artwork designs for packaging.
- Participate in research & development for new products and processes.
- May be required to travel, attending offsite training or trade shows, etc. and interface with customers and suppliers.
- May be called upon after standard hours, weekends, or during 2nd or 3rd shifts, if necessary, to support production.
Education, Skills, and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong working knowledge of computer programs: ERP systems, Solidworks, and Microsoft Suite
- Strong knowledge of mechanical, machining and metalworking principles.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures.
- Ability to write technical reports, procedures and effectively present information to top management.
- Ammunition reloading experience preferred
- Experience with Lean manufacturing and SMED tooling designs preferred
- Experience with PLC controls and programming preferred
- Experience with industrial automation
- Punctuality and reliability is a must
Ability to speak, read and write in the English language sufficient enough to perform the following:
- Communicate effectively with other team members and supervision
- Read and comprehend process instructions
- Record pertinent process information as required
Personal Tool Requirements
- 0-1” micrometer (.0001 increments)
- 0-8” caliper (.001 increments)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to severe thru out the different productions areas; hearing protection is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Eye protection is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Flame resistant clothing is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or explosive materials
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather.
- Safety Shoes meeting OSHA/ANSI Z-41 specifications are required for anyone working in the production department. Anyone working on the ammunition loading equipment or working in the Ballistic Lab are also required to have electrostatic dissipative (ESD) shoes. An annual safety shoe subsidy will be provided for the employee.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Good hearing and listening habits to determine abnormal machines noises
- Good visual skills to determine bullet defects and flaws
- Good hygiene and grooming habits, long hair must be pulled back, no loose clothing or exposed midriffs, closed toed shoes required.
- Position requires a great deal of movement and standing on your feet up to 100% of the day
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs both ascending and descending using feet and hands
- Ability to lift, balance and maneuver up to 40 lbs while standing on a ladder
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 40 lbs
- Ability to push and pull carts up to 1500 lbs
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop
- Starting salary: DOE
- Incentive Plan
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits available
- Employer matches on 401(k) plan
- Employer paid Life Insurance
- Employee discounts on Barnes Bullets products and services
Barnes Bullets is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.