August 20, 2015
- 3 small or 1-2 large zucchini
- 1 lb ground meat of your choice
- 1/3 onion, chopped
- 14 1/2 oz diced tomato
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 10 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- 8 oz mozzarella
- Cook meat in pan and set aside
- Cut zucchini into ⅛ inch thick strips.
- Lay zucchini out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Cover with additional paper towels.
- Put olive oil and chopped onion in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes until onions are golden.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic salt and garlic powder.
- Add cooked meat.
- Stir everything together and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add fresh herbs when you are done simmering and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine, egg, ricotta and parmesan.
- Spray a 9×9 (or 8×8) baking pan with pam.
- Spread some sauce on the bottom of your pan.
- Layer 1 layer of zucchini across the sauce.
- Top zucchini with about ⅓ of ricotta mixture.
- Top ricotta with ¼ of mozzarella.
- Top cheese with more sauce and repeat steps 10-13.
- End with zucchini, sauce then mozzarella.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before eating.