Provide direct, daily leadership to production employees in the department focusing on core operational values of safety, quality, cost management, and conformance to production schedules to satisfy customer requirements. The Production Supervisor is responsible for all component bullet production in the department, ensuring compliance to production commitments, training employees, completing reports on production progress, materials inventory management, and manufacturing costs.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (Essential Functions)
- Establish strategic direction which supports company goals throughout their department
- Drive continual improvements and eliminate waste in areas such as but not limited to safety, process reliability, product quality productivity, manufacturing costs, and schedule performance
- Provide leadership and development training as needed to achieve company objectives or goals
- Ensure planned efficiency and performance goals are met or exceeded
- Provide leadership, motivate, and review subordinates
- Analyze process and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts and production schedules to determine efficient utilization of employees, tooling, supplies and equipment
- Must be willing and able to work more than regularly scheduled hours when necessary. Average work week is 45-50 hours, more on occasion.
- Coordinate with the Planner/Scheduler to establish, review and update production schedules and commitments as needed
- Analyze problems by collecting and organizing data and proposing the best course of action
- Work with area Leads to design and implement standard operating procedures for all production operations
- Ensure effective Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Board meetings are being held to drive continual improvement in Safety, Quality, Cost, Delivery, 5S and Morale.
- Complete daily Layered Process Audits (LPA’s) and weekly GEMBA audits
- Prepare CAP EX requests including ROI justifications
- Perform cycle counts of RAW and HALB material inventories
- Develop, monitor, and control annual budget for departments under their responsibility
- Work with the quality department to develop and help implement quality control standards
- Responsible for selection and maintenance of all production equipment in department
- Ensure effective flow of materials between departments
- Work on R&D team developing new or improved products
- Complete work safely by ensuring all employees are following all the safety policies and procedures
- Work with the Maintenance team to create and maintain Total Preventative Maintenance programs for all production equipment
- Review maintenance logs on all equipment
- Must provide leadership to maintain a clean, orderly, safe shop environment
- Shift work may be required on an as needed basis
Education, Skills, and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent work-related experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in production management in a high-volume manufacturing environment preferred
- Continuous Improvement training and experience to include Lean, Kaizens, Six Sigma, Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA), Process Capability, Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) and Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Strong computer skills with experience with Microsoft Office and CAD products
- Solid background in creating Excel spreadsheets and graphs for tracking and reporting purposes
- Excellent written, verbal and presentational experience
- Strong planning, organizing, and analytical problem solving ability.
- Must work well in a multitasking, high paced environment
- Ability to speak, read and write in the English language sufficient enough to perform the following:
- Communicate effectively with other team members and supervision
- Read and comprehend process instructions
- Record pertinent process information as required
Personal Tool Requirements
- Personal Tool Requirements: (Including but not limited to) (These tools must be calibrated and kept in good working order) 0-1” micrometer (.0001 increments) and 0-8” caliper (.001 increments)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but is often loud in specified areas.
- Hearing and eye protection are provided.
- Safety Shoes meeting OSHA/ANSI Z-41 specifications are required for anyone working in the production department. Anyone working on the ammunition loading equipment or working in the Ballistic Lab are also required to have electrostatic dissipative (ESD) shoes.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position requires a great deal of movement and standing on your feet up to 100% of the day
- Ability to climb both ascending and descending using feet and hands
- Ability to lift, balance and maneuver up to 40 lbs while standing on a ladder
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 40 lbs
- Ability to push and pull carts up to 1500 lbs
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach and stoop
- Good hearing and listening habits to determine abnormal equipment noises
- Good visual skills to determine defects and flaws in materials
- Good hygiene and grooming habits, long hair must be pulled back, no loose clothing or exposed midriff’s, closed toed shoes required.
- Starting salary: DOE
- Incentive Plan
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits available
- Employer matches on 401(k) plan
- Employer paid Life Insurance
- Employee discounts on Barnes Bullets products and services
Barnes Bullets is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.