Ammunition Loading Supervisor
The Ammunition Supervisor provides direct, daily leadership to employees in the area, focusing on core operational values of safety, quality, cost management and conformance to production schedules to satisfy customer requirements. Responsible for all ammunition production, ensuring compliance to production commitments, training employees, completing reports on progress, materials inventory management and manufacturing costs. Experienced and proficient in the setup, operation, and maintenance of all equipment used in the ammunition loading area.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (Essential Functions)
Establish strategic direction which supports company goals throughout their department
Prepare department budgets, including cost out initiatives
Prepare CAP EX requests including ROI justifications
Perform cycle counts of RAW and HALB material inventories
Drive continual improvements and eliminate waste in areas such as but not limited to safety, process reliability, product quality productivity, manufacturing costs, and schedule performance
Complete daily Layered Process Audits (LPA’s) and weekly GEMBA audits
Ensure effective Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Board meetings are being held to drive continual improvement in Safety, Quality, Cost, Delivery, 5S and Morale.
Provide leadership and development training using the Training Within the Industry (TWI) mythology as needed to achieve company objectives or goals
Coordinate with the Planner/Scheduler to establish, review and update production schedules and commitments as needed
Analyze process and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts and production schedules to determine efficient utilization of employees, tooling, supplies and equipment
Provide leadership, motivate, and review subordinates
Analyze problems by collecting and organizing data and proposing the best course of action
Work with area Leads to design and implement standard operating procedures for all production operations
Ensure planned efficiency and performance goals are met or exceeded
Develop, monitor, and control annual budget for departments under their responsibility
Work with the quality department to develop and help implement quality control standards
Responsible for selection and maintenance of all production equipment in department
Ensure effective flow of materials between departments
Work on R&D team developing new or improved products
Complete work safely by ensuring all employees are following all the safety policies and procedures
Work with the Maintenance team to create and maintain Total Preventative Maintenance programs for all production equipment
Review maintenance logs on all equipment
Fulfill Duties pertaining to the Document Control Board (DCB)
Must provide leadership to maintain a clean, orderly, safe shop environment
Shift work may be required on an as needed or permanent basis
Must be willing and able to work more than regularly scheduled hours when necessary. Average work week is 45-50 hours, more on occasion.
Education, Skills, and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering and/or equivalent education and job experience
Minimum 2 years’ experience and operating knowledge in all areas of the reloading
Strong mechanical aptitude
Ballistics theory experience including pressures, velocities, BC, accuracy and load development
Must have excellent communication skills
Must be able to clearly communicate requisitioned needs for tooling and supplies to the appropriate supervisor in a timely manner
Must have good math skills, i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
Good reading skills and ability to follow procedures correctly
Must be able to record all necessary paperwork legibly and accurately
Must be alert, aware and able to follow company safety policies
Punctuality and reliability is a must
- Ability to speak, read and write in the English language sufficient enough to perform the following:
- Communicate effectively with other team members and supervision
- Read and comprehend process instructions
- Record pertinent process information as required
Personal Tool Requirements
Including but not limited to. These tools must be calibrated and kept in good working order.
- 0-1” micrometer (.0001 increments)
- 0-8” caliper (.001 increments)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to severe thru out the different productions areas; hearing protection is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Eye protection is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Flame resistant clothing is required and will be supplied for the employee.
- Exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or explosive materials
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather.
- Safety Shoes meeting OSHA/ANSI Z-41 specifications are required for anyone working in the production department. Anyone working on the ammunition loading equipment or working in the Ballistic Lab are also required to have electrostatic dissipative (ESD) shoes. An annual safety shoe subsidy will be provided for the employee.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Good hearing and listening habits to determine abnormal machines noises
- Good visual skills to determine bullet defects and flaws
- Good hygiene and grooming habits, long hair must be pulled back, no loose clothing or exposed midriffs, closed toed shoes required.
- Position requires a great deal of movement, including bending, lifting 40+ pounds and climbing
- Starting salary: DOE
- Incentive Plan
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits available
- Employer matches on 401(k) plan
- Employer paid Life Insurance
- Employee discounts on Barnes Bullets products and services
Barnes Bullets is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.