BARNES UNLEADED. UNFAILING. UNBEATABLE.

“Products You Can Count On - Every Time”

California Lead Ban

In short, the following link should clear up any misconceptions about where Barnes stands on this issue. Barnes’ Position on the California Lead Ban. You are welcome to post your comments here.

22 Responses to “California Lead Ban”

1. I had heard a rumor that Barnes was some how involved in pushing for or supporting a lead ban. I always thought it couldn’t be true and that it was just what it was, a rumor, a vicious one at that. Someones attempt to discredit the company. Thanks so much for clearing this up. I’ve had GREAT success using your bullets especially the Triple Shocks.

2. I am against the California Lead Ban. The actual death of one Condor from an excessive lead content and pointing the finger at hunters is totally erroneous. Where are the tests to prove it was bullet lead and not from the natural ecology of their landscape. Lead is a natural element of nature and to put the entire blame on Hunters & Sportsman isn’t the way of the “Land of the Free”

Now that all Hunters and Sportsman have to suffer with this new legislation, I just hope that all Bullet Manufacturers will step forward and introduce new calibers of projectiles such as .17 cal.

The new Remington .17 Fireball is just one of many that now has a permanent place in the Gun Safe as it is no longer legal to hunt with this caliber.

I thank Barnes Bullets for being in the forefront of non-lead projectiles and I only hope Barnes Bullets and other bullet companies continue to work to supply California with a full range of calibers of copper projectiles for all calibers of centerfire.
    Thank you Barnes Bullets.
    Bruce J. Leininger
    Retired Deputy Sheriff & Avid Squirrel Hunter

3. Ron Sgarlato says:

Another ban? What else will California ban? How ’bout the air we breathe? Let us be adult enough to make our own decisions about the products we buy, not legislated by government. Really wanna ban something? How about cigarettes. Too much lobby money in that. Let us live in the country I grew up to love . Free. Thats what I want for my kids and grandkids. California has manipulated our fuel prices, compromised school funds and has been duped by an energy crisis created by major corporations at taxpayer expense. Keep it up and they’ll drive everyone out. When we leave so do your tax dollars. Drop the ban on lead.

4. Mark D. Collns says:

Hi folks,

I’ve lived in California all my life (46 yrs) and believe me the lead ban has nothing to do with Barnes and everything to do with rabid anti hunting interests in this state. A new attempt on hunting and gun ownership comes up almost daily. We’ll keep fighting but it’s difficult with the liberal majority running the State. Groups like the NRA and SCI are valuable and necessary please support them or others like them to help protect our rights.

5. John Searles says:

The “left coast” has ALWAYS had hunting/shooting “issues! With that said…I’m far more interested in when the excellent MRX will be offered in .375,.416 and .458 ???!!!

6. Bobby Hernandez says:

Conservation minded land owners such as Ted Turner at the Vermejo Park Ranch in Northern New Mexico, are also asking hunters not to use lead bullets in their hunts. I just received the notice for a hunt there this season.

7. mark brown says:

first, the legislature bans lead for big game hunting.
    then in a perfect example of the 4th branch of government (the administrative state) the dept. of foolishness and games decides that it should also apply to rimfires and varmiting.
    i wonder when the deal was struck that even if the law didn’t apply to rimfire, it would

8. Pete says:

Incredibly large amounts of lead were released into the environment by mining operations (Silver Valley, CDA,Idaho area) and exposure of naturally occuring lead ore deposits (lead is mined). To pick on hunters with their tiny bullets is a disproportionate effort aimed at the shooting sports and hunting. Who saw that bird eat the dead creature having a lead bullet embedded in it? Was lead found in the dead birds gut?

There are other elements that are much more dense than lead, but one of these elements, less toxic than lead, commonly used by industry for weights and projectiles, would really make the greens gag. When silver prices reach a certain level mining for silver will resume accompanied by the lead by-product and this lead release into the environment will dwarf the tiny lead contamination from occasional lead fragments in deer or elk gut piles.

Copper, used in your deadly bullets, due to its physical properties is much better for bullets than silver which is slightly heavier. Silver bullets would have one application that not even the mighty triple shock copper bullet could equal.

9. Cal Grown says:

I live and hunt in Cal and don’t mind the ban on lead its not just the Condors but all the things that eat the guts or unrecovered game. Since I tryed some that I loaded and they shot so good I like them.

10. Sean W Ford says:

I’ve instructed family and friends that should I die they should shoot me with lead from shotgun shells and then deposit my body in some area where a conder may find it. I say this in jest, but it does express a strong sentiment.

SWF

11. Mike says:

I attend the Dept. of Fish and Game commissioners meetings in my home county here in Calif. They had tried to draft a letter to get a sunset clause for the lead ban. It would have suggested that if in five years ther was no significant findings the ban would expire. Well they did not have enough commissioners to form a binding vote. Even had they sent a letter that does not mean their thoughts would have been taken seriousley.

12. Pat Munday says:

First off, let me say I’ve been a hunter for well over 40 years and still am: elk, mulies, whitetails, antelope, and anything else I can get a tag for.

I also like eagles, vultures, and other raptors. And yes, the scientific evidence is CONCLUSIVE. Most birds are very sensitive to lead poisoning. Birds that feed on carcasses of critters killed with lead bullets often ingest enough lead to sicken and even kill them.

As any experienced hunter knows, jacketed lead hunting bullets often fragment. For example, most jacketed lead bullets I’ve recovered from elk over the years retained just 50% to 65% of their initial weight. Guess where all the rest of the lead went?

This is similar to the ban on leadshot for waterfowl. Ducks, geese, etc would pick up enough lead from river/lake sediments in heavily hunted areas to poison them. [BTW, lead is not to good for you, me, and our children who eat game meat, either.]

For this reason, I have switched to copper bullets for hunting. If you still shoot lead bullets, then you must take responsibility for the “by kill.”

13. mike says:

Thanks to the lead ban I can no longer take along my Desert Eagle AE50 as a back up. No one makes ammo for it that doesn’t contain lead.
    Thanks!

14. The lead free ban is here and unfortunately there is no turning back. It all sounds like a knee-jerk reaction by the legislators but it is what it is. What I am afraid of is that the way California goes, so will other states. It’s only a matter of time. So I am stocking up on bullets. Yes the Barnes bullets are more expensive but I am shooting a quality product. Now if Barnes could develope a .17 HMR Rimfire and a .22 long that would be great. I own lots of rifles but my .17 is the most fun to shot with my kids.

15. Scott Fox says:

I’m going to make this comment short; although it does pertain to a thought about this lead ammunition ban. Considering all the predators and scavengers in California, a condor flying down and eating a lead bullet is ridiculous to say the least. What do you all think the odds would be in having a nearly extinct condor eating the lead bullet after a big game animal was shot? I don’t think it’s a likely scenario considering that high power center-fire cartridge bullets usually pass through the game animal. Also, I wasn’t aware that condors would rather fly down and eat a delicious lead bullet then the soft entrails. They just love those lead bullets. I think I saw one eating lead bullets out of a backstop at a shooting range one night. Those sneaky birds!

16. Barbara Schoener says:

Remember steel shot for waterfowl because of ingestion by bald eagles? Remember Delta pumps shut down when the CA and federal agencies ignored impacts to smelt under the U.S. Endangered Species Act? Considering federal and state laws, DFG had little choice but to ban lead bullets in a limited part of condor range. Although…CA condor transplants in AZ and UT are not reputed to eat carrion with lead? I recommended X/TSX for 20 years for both accuracy, effectiveness and for lead-free chewing. I check meat more carefully for fragments when I use Nosler BT for example but, honestly, NBT pass through big bucks anyway leaving only tiny green polycarbonate specks. Conclusions: 1. Cheers for Barnes for not being as dogmatic about their technology as I am. 2. Laws for guns, hunting, shooting, and wildlife make limited sense anywhere. 3. Just go hunting and shooting anyway, because you can.

17. Vince Warde says:

As a lifelong Californian, I can hardly wait to leave this state.

Yes, there is a potential problem with condors feeding on contaminated gut piles. Yes, something had to be done. I have no problem with appropriate action. As soon as we retire, we are off for Idaho!

My problem with California is that they always choose the most restrictive solution. A requirement that gut piles be buried or packed out would have largely solved the problem – but that would not have made it impossible for us to hunt with some of our guns and more expensive to hunt with the ones we can use.

Barnes makes a great product, and I give them a big thumbs up for opposing the lead ban.

18. Andrew Jones says:

I hunt and live in CA. The lead ban makes all of the rifles that have been in my family for over 100 years like my favorite is 94 .32-40 wcf. I can’t hunt with it any more. It was first rifle that my granddad and my dad hunted with and me to. I would like to be my kids to one day.

“they say that you have not been deer hunting til you hunt with a lever gun ” MY granddad 1897.

19. Brian says:

Powerlines kill more condors than anything

20. Joey says:

Guys don’t worry, this state will learn when they lose a ton of residents like me who decide to stop complaining and move out of this pinko communist state. It sickens me to my core how bad this place I use to call my home is changing. There are still many better states to live in that don’t want to take your rights from you.

21. Mark says:

Forget about saving condors, do you really want to be EATING MEAT with lead in it? Lead is among the most toxic substances known to man; it never goes away and even small amounts can cause terrible brain damage. And to think people want that stuff in the water supply and in the meat they bring back to their families…

22. Saul says:

guys lets face it, we already lost the war on lead Bullets. GOV Brown just signed a bill banning lead bullets in entire state of KA . i own a .17 Remington and love this caliber i have killed over thousand Coyotes with it over the years using lead Bullets . now im looking to you Barnes to make a .17 caliber high BC Bullet for it .
    every year it seems that KA Hunters are having more and more taken away from them and no one is saying anything, its bad enough that the majority of the state is private and closed to hunting and now we have to deal with more B.S . if we don’t stand up and fight back in the next few years we will have to learn to fish until they take that away too.